At a General Assembly meeting held last January 15, horseowners coming from the four different organizations – MARHO, Philtobo, Klub Don Juan, and SHOP – voted on four different handicapping proposals coming from Mar Tirona, Sonny Arevalo, Jun Almeda, and Jake Maderazo. All four are horseowners and breeders and have extensive experience in the thoroughbred industry.
The proposal chosen by the majority of those who voted (31 out of 43) was that of Sonny Arevalo, a former commissioner of the Philracom. Mr. Arevalo’s proposal is easy to understand and very simple. It is mostly concerned with the entry points of the incoming 3YO into the existing class-division stepladder, with provisions for renouncing or renunsiyo.
The four horseowners’ groups will be sending a letter to Philracom on Monday advising the Board of Commissioners that this was the proposal chosen. However, the finer points of this plan still need to be threshed out as not all horseowners agree with all the provisions. For instance, some horseowners feel that all 2YO non-winners and non-placers last year should enter the Maiden ranks rather than Class-Division 4-3A. It may take two weeks to a month before a final version suitable for implementation is reached.
The pertinent points of the plan are:
HANDICAPPING PROPOSAL for 3YO HORSES (by Dante “Sonny” R. Arevalo)
- All three (3) year old as of January 1, 2008 that have participated on a two year old race:
- Stakes winners will go to Class Division 41A
- Stakes placers will go to Class Division 41B
- Winners of 2 year old regular race will go to Class Division 42A
- Placers of 2 year old / regular race will go to Class Division 42B
- Non winners (to include 4th placers) will go to Class Division 43A
- All three (3) year old and up that have not participated in a race will enter Maiden A, B, C.
All Maiden winners will go to allowance B & A.
Winners of allowance B & A will go to Class Division 4-2A.
- All Maiden and allowance runners three (3) year old and up that have won stakes race/races. (Class Division 4-1A).
- All Maiden and allowance runners that are stakes placed (Class Division 4-1B).
- Allowance A & B runners may renounce after three (3) straight losses to Class Division 4-2A.
- All Maiden C runners may renounce after three (3) straight clean losses will go to Class Division 4-2A.
- All Maiden C runners renounce, after five (5) straight losses will go to Class Division 4-2B.
Philracom has drawn up an interim plan for 3YO handicapping that may be used while the plan above is being polished so that 3YO racing can resume. Some horseowners, meanwhile, are advocating that the 2YO system be used for the 3YO pending the final version of their proposal.